Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Kampachi


Kampachi is the greatest fish you've never heard of.

It's not easy to find, and most of what's in the market is sold directly to restaurants. So if you can't find it in the stores, look for it on menus. It's rich, succulent, almost buttery, and makes the tastiest sashimi ever. It's grown ("grown") by Kona Blue Water Farms in Hawaii; it's a Hawaiian yellowtail that's sustainably raised in open ocean water. Not only is that good for the environment, it means the fish are high in omega-3s with no detectable mercury.

I got a small piece on Sunday night, courtesy of my restaurant. They use it for sashimi, but as the piece sat in my car for an hour on the way home, I figured I shouldn't risk it. I cooked it instead.

By "cooked," I mean I got it warm on both sides. I got some olive oil and butter hot in a skillet, and dropped the piece of kampachi in just long enough to sear it.

It tasted rich, dense, and sweet. Definitely one of the tastiest fish I've ever eaten.

If you can find some, snap it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment