Thursday, April 26, 2012

No-tomato tabbouleh



I've made tabbouleh with cilantro many times; to me, tabbouleh is a summer dish, full of tomatoes and fresh herbs, something that can be eaten room-temperature (so it's great for work lunches, car rides, etc.).

I harvested the first of my mint and cilantro yesterday, and realized I had some parsley in the fridge. The first thing I thought of making was tabbouleh, but I didn't have any tomatoes. (Nor will I, until they're officially in season. I refuse to eat tomatoes before their time.)

So I made tabbouleh without tomatoes.

Which is essentially bulgur wheat salad, with herbs.

Start with one cup of bulgur wheat, uncooked. Cover it with enough cold water so there's an inch of water above the grains, and let soak for 20 minutes. While it's soaking, chop:
a big handful of mint
a big handful of parsley
a big handful of cilantro
some very finely chopped onion or a few green onions (I went light on the onions since I'm not a huge fan of raw onion)
Drain the wheat and add this stuff to it, along with the juice of one lemon and maybe 1/4 cup of olive oil, and salt to taste. Let this sit for another hour or so, to allow the flavors to combine. Eat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment