Sunday, October 9, 2011

Spaghetti with spaghetti squash, dandelion greens, and fresh tomato sauce


Yesterday after work, instead of unpacking, I decided to christen my kitchen.

I also had a bunch of food that needed to be turned into something, pronto, before it went bad--about two weeks' worth of CSA vegetables, nine metric tons of tomatoes (both red and green), and a few gallons of vegetable scrap that needed to become vegetable broth.

To use up the ripe tomatoes, I made a huge batch of salsa, another of tabbouleh, and some sauce that I froze. To use up the green tomatoes, I made fried green tomatoes and a batch of green tomato jam (look for that recipe soon!). Of course, the veg scrap became broth (frozen for later use in soups).

CSA veggies used: cilantro, onion, peppers, and other assorted herbs. Plus dandelion greens and spaghetti squash.

Spaghetti squash, if you're not familiar with it, can be a great substitute for regular spaghetti. When roasted, you can take a fork to the inside of the squash and pull--the resulting squash strings look just like spaghetti (hence the name). I wanted to use up both this squash and the dandelion greens, so I cooked a small amount of regular spaghetti, to beef up the dish a little, and mixed it all with some homemade tomato sauce.

A great quick, filling, vegetarian dish that had the added bonus of using up three things in my fridge. Win!

Of course, you can leave the regular pasta out for a vegan/gluten-free option.

I still have a bunch of green tomatoes left, though. I'm thinking green tomato pie soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment