Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Chocolate Bourbon


When I was having brunch with my friend L last week, we explored Harvard and Cambridge and came upon one of those random gourmet foods/beer shops. They had a full selection of Fee Brothers Bitters, and by full, I mean full. They had several I'd never heard of. Naturally I had to buy them.

I walked out with rhubarb bitters, Aztec chocolate bitters, and lemon bitters.

In my experiments with the new bitters, I've created a drink I've dubbed The Chocolate Bourbon.

Three or so jiggers' worth of Makers Mark (or similar upscale bourbon) with one of Cointreau and several drops of the Aztec chocolate bitters. Add a few drops of Peychaud's bitters for depth, mix, and serve over ice.

Speaking of bitters, check these guys out--A.B. Smeby Bittering Co. They make their own bitters in Brooklyn, in such fascinating flavors as Lemon Verbena, Black and White (as in the cookie), and Apple Cinnamon with Molasses. You know I'll be ordering some. In fact, check out this article from Time Out New York on underground food. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment