Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sort-of eggs benedict


Last night I had a rare flash of culinary genius (rare for these days, anyway. Although the good news is that the packing is almost done!). I had three boxes of puff pastry shells in the freezer. I also had several boxes of frozen spinach.

Then I looked in the fridge. Some cream...half a package of bacon...eggs.

So I made what I've dubbed Sort-Of Eggs Benedict. Puff pastry shell, topped with creamed spinach, bacon, and a poached egg. A rather messy dish to consume, but a damn good one.

And really, that's the recipe. Pre-cooked puff pastry shell on the bottom. Cooked bacon. Creamed spinach, made with frozen spinach (I'll post that recipe tomorrow). And a poached egg on top.

(There are two tricks to poaching an egg. 1: bring the water up to a rolling boil, then add a little vinegar. Back off the heat until it's just wanting to break into a rolling boil again, but not quite. 2: Break the egg into a bowl or a cup first, then gently tip that into the water. It keeps the white together better. That's it: poach gently for a couple of minutes, then remove with a spoon.)

I'll be making more of this combination this weekend, since I have two more boxes of puff pastry shells to get through.

Really, there's nothing that can't be improved with the addition of a poached egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment