Thursday, September 16, 2010

Savenor's Meat Market


While interviewing in downtown Boston the other day, I walked into neighboring Beacon Hill and wandered around. I found Savenor's on Charles Street, and I believe I may have just found my butcher shop.

Savenor's had all kinds of things, from wild boar charcuterie to rattlesnake to llama meat. Yes, llama meat. I've heard of people eating rattlesnake before, but never llama meat. I won't be eating either of them any time soon--a package of rattlesnake meat was $68. (I forbore to make the obvious "I could get that for FREE" joke.) They also had grass-fed beef, fresh morels, tasso and andouille (though far pricier than in the South), all kinds of in-house smoked bacon, the list goes on and on. You can order free-range, sustainably raised suckling pigs from Vermont. They have pates, terrines, whole lobes of foie gras, fresh rabbit, duck confit, and duck fat. Needless to say, I was pretty pleased with all the offerings.

I ended up purchasing a wild boar sausage, another with truffles in it, a package of wild boar bacon, a package of duck bacon, and a quarter pound of thinly sliced lardo. Lardo, for those of you that don't know, is cured pork fat. Like salami, only, you know, all fat. I plan to make the world's most decadent pizza with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment