Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Vin Bin


Yesterday I explored the small town of Marlborough, MA. It's about what you'd expect from a small Northeastern town, an hour from Boston; lots of empty houses for sale, a single street of businesses flanking the courthouse, the erstwhile "downtown"; nothing to really recommend that small town over any other. (Interestingly, there was an old mill that had been renovated into high-end condos, in the middle of an otherwise dilapidated street--is someone trying to gentrify the town?) However, there was a Starbucks, a local watering hole (complete with Guiness on tap), and a wine-and-cheese shop called The Vin Bin.

It was pretty decent, considering the rest of the town. I found some lovely cheese, including a lot of local cheeses (including a pepper-wrapped goat cheese from Maine); a lot of local microbrews, in addition to my fave, Abita Turbodog; and of course wine. I picked up a bottle of dolcetto and another of 50% chard/50% sauvingnon blanc, which I plan to enjoy with my lardo. I'll report back on them.

1 comment:

  1. It's so funny to hear you describe New England as if you're in a museum of strange objects! We need to make DH take us out to dinner at a fancy restaurant (since he's the one with the job), and I'll write a guest review. :)

    ReplyDelete