Monday, September 20, 2010

Lardo pizza



While pondering the many potential uses of lardo, I typed "lardo pizza" into Google and came up with this recipe.

If you've been reading, you know I found some lardo at a butcher shop last week, and you also know what lardo is. I can now safely say it goes very, very well on pizza. The only problem was that I didn't use enough.

I followed the above recipe, using my standard whole wheat pizza crust (thinner than usual). I sweated one onion, a head of radicchio, and added that to the pizza crust (and some olive oil). I topped it all off with 15 or so slices of lardo. While that was cooking, I took about 1 1/2 cups of cheap-ass, Sam's Club balsamic vinegar, and reduced it in a saucepan until roughly the consistency of molasses. As the recipe/post points out, good balsamic vinegar is devine, but expensive. Reducing the cheap stuff down approximates the taste of the 25-year-old stuff.

When the pizza was done, I drizzled it all over with the reduced balsamic vinegar and just a teeny bit of parmesan, and ate it with the dolcetto I wrote about yesterday. Next time, slightly less radicchio, and a LOT more lardo. Man, that stuff was good. A heart attack on a plate, I'm sure, but delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment